If you have a burst pipe it is important that you call ACE+ immediately on (08) 9272 1488. A delay in repair can be very costly.

What is a burst pipe?

Your property contains a network of piping that gives you water access and drainage. These pipes are installed by plumbers and are designed to be resistant to normal wear and tear. In some cases, pipe joints and piping become stressed from exposure to high water pressure. If regular maintenance is not conducted by a licensed plumber, this stress can lead to pipes bursting.

When a pipe bursts it causes a number of issues. The first is that all of the water running through the pipe system will escape through the burst. In order to provide you with a quality water system, water pushed through these pipes is pressurised. Hence the term, water pressure. When a pipe bursts, that water is pushed out very quickly and can cause significant and expensive damage.

How do I avoid a burst pipe?

The only way to avoid having a burst pipe in your property is to get regular plumbing maintenance. ACE+ can send a licensed and qualified plumber to inspect your plumbing and make arrangements to pre-emptively repair any issues before they can get worse.

The nature of plumbing maintenance is such that it is not recommended as a DIY project. A licensed plumber will know what to look for when examining your plumbing and, by conducting the inspection yourself, you may miss key signs that can lead to expensive repairs down the track.

How can I tell if I have a burst pipe?

Burst pipes are not always immediately obvious because pipes tend to be concealed on a property. If you notice a sharp decrease in water pressure, you may have a burst pipe. If your lawn feels spongy when there has been no rain, it is possible a pipe has burst underground. The best way to check is to contact ACE+ and organise a licensed plumber to give your plumbing a health check.

What do I do if I have a burst pipe?

If you suspect you have a burst pipe, the first step is to turn off water to your property. In WA, you will still be charged for water use in the event of a burst pipe so by turning off water to your property you can lessen the cost. Once you have isolated water to your property, you should contact ACE+ to organise a repair as soon as possible.

Water Corp. offer a water allowance for burst pipes if repairs are performed by a licensed plumber. The sooner you can get your pipes repaired, the lower the cost of the bill and the reduced chance of further property damage from water.

If you have, or suspect you have, burst pipes on your property then don’t delay. Contact ACE+ on (08) 9272 1488 as soon as possible to ensure you don’t end up paying expensive repair bills.